Prepared by the Navigation Channel Sedimentation Task Committee of the Navigation Engineering Subcommittee of the Waterways Committee of the Coasts, Oceans, Ports & Rivers Institute of ASCE
Navigation Channel Sedimentation Solutions, MOP 156, describes navigation channel sedimentation, lists solutions to sedimentation problems in those channels, and recommends practices for predicting navigation channel sedimentation responses resulting from those solutions. Inland, estuarine, and coastal navigation channel sedimentation problems can be solved from among seven strategies, including many sustainable solutions. Best practices for field, desktop, and model predictions include structured problem definition, tool selection, tiered tools application, expert interpretation, reporting of results with uncertainty bounds, and informed management.
- Channel sedimentation processes,
- Navigation channel classifications and sedimentation issues,
- Solutions to sedimentation problems,
- Channel sedimentation prediction methods,
- Recommendations for best practices in using prediction methods, and
- Case histories illustrating typical navigation sedimentation problems and their solutions.
MOP 156 provides a comprehensive overview of navigation channel sedimentation issues and will be an excellent resource for inland and coastal navigation practitioners, inland and coastal sedimentation engineers, and managers and end users of sedimentation studies.